Paul is a partner in the firm’s dispute resolution department. Paul has extensive experience of providing specialist advice on contentious commercial and residential real estate issues, which includes landlord and tenant disputes, breach of contract claims, complex eviction of trespassers from commercial land, enforcement of mortgages, forfeiture, interpretation and modification of restrictive covenants, lease renewal and enfranchisement, agricultural tenancy issues, boundary disputes, rights of way issues and the interference of easements and tenants’ insolvency.
Paul is listed as “up and coming” in Chambers and Partners UK (2021 edition) and is described as giving “sound advice regarding dispute resolution and he's efficient and thorough an astute advocate - someone who can drive forward and get the job done” . Paul is recommended in the Legal 500 Guide to the UK Legal Profession (2021 edition) and in a testimonial is described as “a pleasure to work with, understands the clients’ needs and uses deep understanding of substantive law and procedure to help achieve the objectives”.
Examples of Paul’s experience include:
- Acting for national companies in the retail, gaming, leisure and hospitality sectors concerning all contentious issues arising from their property portfolios, including leasehold renewal procedures, break notices, rent reviews, dilapidations and breach of covenant claims.
- Enforced lender’s £1.5 million security over industrial estate in Essex valued following contested mortgage possession proceedings by successfully obtaining possession order and judgment for mortgage arrears. Obtained high profile High Court possession order and injunction against professional squatters illegally occupying a site for oil and gas exploration company. The case was the subject of media interest, including reports on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme and BBC Surrey. Obtained a further order extending the duration of the existing injunction in January 2018 – Europa Oil & Gas Limited v Persons Unknown  EWHC 403 (ch).
- Successfully defended enforcement proceedings brought by a high street bank to recover £3 million security for BVI client that owned large office building in the heart of the West End.
- Obtained injunction restraining neighboring property owner from harassing client as part of a longstanding boundary dispute.
- Advising residential landlord companies on all contentious issues arising from their portfolios, including service charge disputes, section 20 consultation requirements, unlawful subletting, breach of covenant and enfranchisement issues.
Paul is a member of the Property Litigation Association (PLA) and the Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners (ALEP).