Edward is a consultant of the firm.
He handles a wide range of property related litigation as well as general commercial litigation. The areas in which he specialises are:
- Recovery work for the firm’s lending clients, generally relating to property and often entailing receivership or administration.
- Professional negligence claims against valuers or solicitors in the context of property transactions.
- Dealing with all kinds of (generally property related) disputes on behalf of our restaurant clients including the litigation aspects of lease renewals under
the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 Part 2 and dilapidations. Edward also has extensive experience of acting for landlords in similar situations.
Edward regularly acts for the various banks, other financial institutions and the restaurant operators which the firm represents, as well as for commercial landlords in disputes with their tenants.
Edward has represented clients in a number of reported cases over the years, including the following:
- American Express International Banking Corporation -v- Hurley and Gerrard (a case concerning when a lender might become liable for acts carried out by its receiver).
- Whitbread plc -v- UCB Corporate Services Ltd (concerning priorities as between lenders and the recoverability of compound interest).
- Emery and Emery -v- UCB Corporate Services Ltd (in which a challenge to a receiver’s appointment was successfully defeated).
- Credit and Mercantile plc -v- Marks (a case about sub-charges).
Edward and his department have been consistently praised in Legal 500 for their work in banking and property litigation. The 2017 edition describes Edward as is ‘the kind of person you want on your side when you have difficult opposition thanks to his ability to adeptly cut through the issues to work out a commercial solution’.
Edward is a member of the Property Litigation Association.